Monday, May 16, 2011

A Heathens view on Humility.

A short essay by Gothi Lush D.D.

I will say from the start that I am not a fan of humility as it is commonly used by the American populace and the religious leadership of the “Big 3” Abrahamic faiths to keep people subjugated.
Humility seems to be the device used to keep the masses in line. It is portrayed as something to aspire to, as if being meek is a good thing. When it is said that “the meek shall inherit the Earth” I wonder “why would you want that”. Valhalla, Heaven or Nirvana seems the better option, I mean isn’t that why most people seek out religion is to find something better than what we have now? But I think I might be getting off track.
Humility is the trait of knowing your place and never “tooting your own horn” and that is all fine and good if you’ve never done anything in your life worth talking about. But most of us have. I can not imagine a world without war stories. Who could rise against authority if they are busy knowing their place? Humility is alien to me because I see no one as my superior except for the gods. And even then if I am in their presence I have done something to warrant that attention. On the whole I see humility as a bad thing, sure it’s great to not let your tongue get you in trouble but I bet you do something better than the guy who can kick your ass… just not fisticuffs. I went off track again.     

No comments:

Post a Comment